Thursday, October 6, 2011

VeganMoFo - Pumpkin Chai

I love me a good chai. Whether hot or iced, could there be a more perfect drink? I think not. Here's an autumnal version of the classic drink.


Pumpkin Chai
  • 1-2 cups brewed black tea
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/12 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves, allspice, cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon, nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
  • 1 star anise
  • non-dairy milk, optional
Begin by brewing your tea, then set it aside. In a small sauce pan combine pumpkin, water, sugar and spices. Cook this mixture over medium low heat for about 10 minutes, whisking occasionally. You want the spices to infuse the pumpkin. Taste it as you go and adjust the sugar and spices to your own tastes. I don't like it very sweet so I kept the sugar low, but I like it very spicy so I actually upped the spices. (I think I upped too much- I doubled the spices and lost the pumpkin taste. Keep that in mind if you want to add more spice.)
Once your spice mixture is ready add 2 tablespoons of it to your cup and then fill with your brewed tea. I topped mine off with some warmed coconut milk.



Feel free to chill your spice mixture and enjoy your tea on the rocks.



5 comments:

said...

This looks beautiful, I can't wait to try it! The whole star anise pod floating in the mug is just about the cutest thing ever.

A Vegan Food Snob said...

Thanks! I loveeee star anise, and it really lends a delicate scent as you sip.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

This sounds like I need it in my life!

omgoshimvegan said...

Can't wait to try this.

michelle (meiji) said...

pretty pretty pumpkin drinkerage!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...