Thursday, September 15, 2011

Coffee Cake Nostalgia

Do you remember Drake's Coffee Cakes?
I've been thinking about... dreaming about them, for at least the last week or so. I can imagine opening that package and out slide 2 perfectly round cakes, just for me! Cinnamon wafting in my nose, and taking that first soft and crumbly bite. Crumbs would roll everywhere of course, but I barely even notice, stuffing my face with the second cake before I knew it.

If I don't get some coffee cake now, heads will roll.

My first thought was to thumb through my cookbooks. Surely I had seen a coffee cake in one of them before, hadn't I? There in Vegan Brunch (one of my most used books) was a coffee cake staring back at me. But no. This wasn't it. I needed more crumbs, more cinnamon, more something. Then it hit me! I rushed to VeganYumYum where I knew the perfect crumb cake recipe was waiting for me.

As much as I loved the little individual coffee cakes, eating a slice of coffee (or crumb) cake was never quite as enjoyable for me. Here is what I did to fulfill my coffee cake nostalgia craving.

Prepare this recipe for Crumb Cake. Scoop 1/4 cup of the cake batter into a greased jumbo muffin tin. Top with the crumb topping. Bake approximately 40 minutes at 350ยบ F.

As soon as I placed the muffin tin in the oven and closed the door, I realized that I forgot the oil! I don't know how, it was literally sitting right in front of me. It was too late to do anything about it, so I just set the oven timer and hoped for the best.

Results?

The look and flavor were spot on. However, the lack of oil left my cakes dense and slightly rubbery. If it were not for my mistake they would have been perfect.

Tips: I would suggest to make your crumb mixture more sand-like rather than big clumps. The post for the recipe shows big huge crumbs, but I found the bigger crumbs were a little too crunchy for my end product. Also, I baked the cakes for a total of 50 minutes which I think was a little too long. Next time I'll take them out at 40 minutes. Just be sure to test and see what amount of time works best for your oven.

2 comments:

jared said...

Hey Danielle! Those crumbs look delicious. I never had Drake's growing up, but do remember a similar packaged brand. I loved the huge crumbs filled with cinnamon and brown sugar flavor! Hope you are well =]

Danielle said...

Jared, hi! I think you will definitely love this recipe... I only wish I was the one who actually came up with it! I'm lovin' the new blog by the way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...