Sunday, October 2, 2011

VeganMoFo - Pumpkin Spice Latte

Hmm, do I see a theme emerging here..? Only time will tell....
I promise this will not become a month of pumpkin beverages (unless you want that...) but this one was just begging to be made.

I'll admit that at this time of year I am one of the crazies that shell out too much moola at S'bucks (vegans- please see the link in the comments about the Starbucks version of this beverage) for a pumpkin spice latte. I guess it goes without saying that a little leftover pumpkin butter really got the wheels turning here. Who would've thought?
This homemade latte requires a few steps but is not complicated at all. You'll need to start with a simple syrup.

Pumpkin Spice Syrup
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin butter 
  • 1/4 cup water 
  • 1 teaspoon sugar 
In small sauce pan heat all ingredients over medium heat, stirring constantly. When small bubbles form around the edges you're all set! Remove from heat and store any unused portions in a tightly covered container in the fridge.
Now for the main event...

Pumpkin Spice Latte
  • 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Spice Syrup 
  • 2 shots of espresso 
  • 1/4 cup steamed soy milk 
Start with the pumpkin syrup in your mug. Pour the espresso over the syrup and stir. Slowly add the steamed soy milk and top with foam. Sip slowly and savor!

Note: I thought 2 tablespoons of syrup would be a lot, but the flavor was very subtle. If you like a strong taste of pumpkin (like moi) then you'll want to add more. Perhaps double it.


Fret not friends! You do not need to own fancy coffee equipment to create a homemade latte. Instead brew 1 cup of strong coffee and warm your soy milk on the stove top.



8 comments:

B.A.D. said...

Pumpkin Spice Latte at home? You may have just greatly improved my life.

A Vegan Food Snob said...

Haha! That's what I was hoping to accomplish... for all of us pumpkin spice addicts. At least we can all save a few bucks right?

Katie said...

This looks so yummy! Just a warning: the PSL at Starbucks isn't vegan... :(

http://www.yourdailyvegan.com/2011/09/06/how-vegan-is-the-starbucks-pumpkin-spice-latte/

Everyone go follow this recipe so we can stick it to the 'bucks!

A Vegan Food Snob said...

Yeah, I've heard mumblings of this. Pretty upsetting. Luckily I haven't had gotten one ( this year anyway :o/ )
BUT... all the more reason to make it at home!

GiGi said...

OOh 30 days of pumpkin beverages ;) Yum! I'm excited, really. These posts look delish!

A Vegan Food Snob said...

Oh boy... I better think up some more ways to drink up a pumpkin! :o)

Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing these recipes! I've been meaning to make my own PSLs at home for some time, and your recipes make it seem less daunting than I imagined.

Danielle said...

It really is easier than it seems. I don't know why it took me so long to finally do this. Regardless, the results are worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...