Saturday, February 12, 2011

Soup & Salad

It is frigid here. The cold temperatures have stirred up a craving for tomato soup. Luckily I had some canned tomatoes just waiting to be used.

Tomato & Leek Soup

  • olive oil
  • 2 28oz cans whole, peeled tomatoes
  • 1 large leek, roughly chopped (white and most of the green part)
  • dried Italian herbs, to taste
  • onion powder, to taste
  • garlic powder, to taste
First, chop and wash your leek very well, please. Heat a little oil in a soup pot, add leeks, saute until soft. Add tomatoes with all liquid from can. Then add about 1 can of water. (I filled each can about half way and swished it around to get the rest of the tomato-y goodness that got left behind.) Bring to a boil and break up the tomatoes a bit with a spatula. Turn down to a simmer, add Italian herbs, fresh cracked pepper, and salt if desired. I also added a few shakes of garlic powder and onion powder. Remove from heat and blend (in batches, if needed) in blender or food processor.


I love the combination of tomato soup and grilled cheese, but I wanted to ex-nay on the grilled cheese this time and replace it with a large salad. The problem with this was I wanted hot food, not cold salad. Fellow bloggers to the rescue. Susan from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen just posted a Hot Skillet Salad. Using her recipe as a guideline, I made a hot salad for the side of my soup.


Hot Salad
  • olive oil, optional
  • 1/4-1/2 onion, sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, sliced
  • crushed red pepper to taste
  • 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1" cubes
  • 1 bunch kale, torn
  • 1bunch bok choy, chopped
  • 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
  • 1 can beans (use what you have, I used Great Northern)
Over medium heat, I cooked the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper in a smidge of olive oil. After about 3 minutes, I added the sweet potato and cooked another 5 minutes or so. Then, added in all the greens and 1 cup water. Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Add the beans, toss and serve. I seasoned with fresh cracked pepper, a dash of sea salt, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...