Thursday, February 3, 2011

Homemade Nut Milk!

And we're back! My hand is healing nicely, so it's time to get back to all this food.
I'd like to take this time to talk about something I'd like to make more often. I should make more often. I will make more often. Homemade nut milk. I know technically it isn't "milk" per say. More like blended nut water, but that doesn't sound as good. If you utilize the bulk bins in your local health food or grocery store, this can be a very inexpensive way to keep your fridge stocked with a variety of tasty non-dairy milks.


As much as I love my store bought non-dairy milks, it is so easy to make nut milk at home that it's asinine. Here's what you do.


Take 1/2 cup of your favorite nut and blend with 1-2 cups of water, (start with 1 and add as needed, you'll know if you need more by the thickness as your blending)  Give it a good long blend for a few minutes. Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl or pitcher and pour your milk into the container through the strainer. Use a spoon to swish around the pulp that collects in the strainer as the milk strains through.


Once you've finished, take the remaining pulp, place it back in the blender with 1 cup of water and blend again. You are going to strain the milk again, like before be sure to push around the pulp in the strainer. Repeat this process until you have a very small amount of pulp left, reserve it in a covered container and store in the fridge. I usually blend a total of 4 times.
Next, rinse out your blender and pour your milk back into it. Give it another really good blend for a minute or two. Pour it through the strainer one last time.


And voila, you have homemade milk. I've done this with almonds, brazil nuts and even sesame seeds (though, sesame seeds go through a slightly different process. First you blend them dry into a powder then blend with water.) I plan to make hazelnut milk in the near future and I'm going to try my hand at oat milk as well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...