Thursday, April 7, 2011

Vegan Eggrolls

I miss egg rolls. A lot.

We were ordering Chinese take out one night and I finally decided to use the wheat wrappers I found to make myself some egg(less) rolls. It's really actually quite simple. I decided to pan fry these, I was just not in the deep frying mood. Nor did I want that much oil.

Vegan Egg Rolls
  • 1/2 cup seitan, finely shopped
  • 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1-2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
  • Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce), to taste
Mix seitan, cabbage and mushrooms together in a small mixing bowl and drizzle with just a small amount of Bragg's. In a large pan over high heat, briefly saute the mixture in the sesame oil. Cook about a minute or 2, just until it's hot and a bit wilted looking. Scoop mixture back into the bowl, and prepare your wrappers. Spoon about 1-2 heaping tablespoons into the middle of the wrapper. Then fold. I had a hard time folding, but there is a great tutorial here. I'll have to work on that part. 
Spray a large pan with cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Add rolls to the pan, but try not to crowd, I was cooking 4 at a time. Cook a few minutes, flip and cook, until all sides are evenly cooked and about a golden brown. 
My rolls, were delicious, but not very pretty looking, so no photos of this round. But don't worry I''ll be practicing...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...