Sunday, April 17, 2011

Strawberry Spinach Salad

I could not wait for strawberry season to get here simply because of this salad. This recipe comes from my mom, which came from a friend of hers, which came from... I don't know. At first glance, the dressing ingredients may not seem very appealing together, but trust me, give it a chance and you'll fall in love. I brought this salad to a baby shower last year and it was well received. People still ask me for the recipe.


Strawberry Spinach Salad

  • 1 lb spinach - baby spinach is divine
  • 1 lb strawberries
  • 1/4 cup sugar (go ahead and sub agave if you wish)
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup oil - I used olive, but you can use any neutral tasting oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons onion, minced - I love red onion here
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon vegan worcheshire sauce (you can sub soy sauce in a pinch)
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
  • 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
Combine all dressing ingredients (sugar through poppy seeds) and mix vigorously until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add strawberries to a mixing bowl or large container with a cover. Pour the dressing over strawberries and gently mix so that strawberries are completely covered. When ready to serve pour strawberries over spinach and toss.



Notes: If you don't want both sesame and poppy, it is perfectly fine to omit one. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...