Vegan Lasagna Stoup original recipe from Rachel Ray
- olive oil to coat
- 1 package Gimme Lean ground beef style (see note)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 carrots, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water + 2 cups
- 1 can 28 oz crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, broken into jagged pieces
- Daiya mozzarella to serve
In a large pot or dutch oven heat olive oil over medium high heat. Break up the Gimme Lean in the pot and cook until browned. Add onions, carrots and garlic and cook until pretty soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if desired. The grounds will stick to the bottom a bit so keep scraping with a good spatula. When you add the liquid it should all come up pretty easily. When veggies are cooked, add the veg. broth and 2 cups of water or all 6 cups of water and the tomatoes. At this point you can cover and leave it on a simmer for a while until you are ready eat. If you don't have much time/are starving, cover and bring to a boil. Add your lasagna pieces and cook until al dente. Season again with salt and pepper to taste. I also like to add a nice dusting of dried Italian herbs. Serve in large soup bowls and sprinkle with Daiya mozzarella if desired.
Note: I use the Gimme Lean basically out of convenience. It's easy and predictable and cooks up pretty well. I'm sure crumbled seitan, tofu or tempeh would make fine substitutions if you don't like the fake meat stuff.