Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes


My mom has made ice cream cone cupcakes for my birthday since I was 3 years old. Even my dearest friend since nursery school remembers these sweet treats, always decorated with purple frosting. Now with mom way up in NY, and me way down in DC, what's a girl to do? Make them for myself, of course. 

With these special treats, I like to keep it simple (just like mom did), with a basic white cake and vanilla frosting. I used the Golden Vanilla cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World as well as the Vegan Fluffy Buttercream from the same book. Since my copy is still in the mail, I followed the recipes posted hereThere are two different options when making this batter, I used the oil version.

Be sure when making these to use the ice cream cones with flat bottoms. I could only find mini (and gluten free) ice cream cones for some reason, but no matter, I'm an equal opportunity cone consumer. 


When your batter is ready, fill the cones no more than 3/4 of the way full or your batter will bubble over when baking. I decided to err on the side of caution and only filled some half way. The recipe calls for a bake time of 20-22 minutes, however my minis required an extra 2-4 minutes. 

Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting them.

I ran out of powdered sugar after using only 1 cup for the frosting. To finish the recipe I made my own by blending regular sugar and cornstarch. I opted to not blend my sugar completely smooth so that my frosting would have a little sparkle to it from the sugar crystals.

Yummm... Happy Birthday to me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...