Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Soup Day

I woke up this morning craving my mom's spinach egg drop soup. It was the perfect thing on a cold day or anytime you're feeling under the weather, which for me is actually pretty often. Since my mom is 300 miles away, and I can't find a quick & easy substitution for "egg drop", into the fridge it was to whip up a new soup. Here's what I came up with.

Sick Day Soup
-3 scallions, roughly chopped
-3 carrots, cut into small coins
-2 cloves garlic, grated/minced
-handful of mushrooms thinly sliced (I used cremini, about 10-12)
-a bunch of baby bok choy, roughly chopped
-1 cup of barley
-Braggs to taste (optional)

Saute the scallions and carrots in a drizzle of olive oil over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, saute for a minute then add mushrooms. Cook the mushrooms until they are nice and soft, about 5-7 minutes, then fill the pot with water ( you can also use some vegetable stock, I just didn't have any). Bring to a boil then add barley. Give it a quick stir, after it boils a minute turn it down to a simmer. When the barley is almost done, add the bok choy. At this point, I just left it on a low simmer until I was ready to eat (as you can tell I wasn't exactly timing this one). I finished it off with a splash of Braggs, a couple of shakes of celery seed and a few generous cracks of freshly ground pepper.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...