Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Miso Soup & Garlic Toast

 I was sent home early today with a fever. Good thing I made that soup last night! It made for a delicious and soothing breakfast this morning when my throat was on fire. Anyway...
After a quick stop at the co-op for some of my go-to cold remedies, (garlic, ginger, lemons...) I came home to another steaming hot bowl of miso. I completed my lunch with some garlic toast, one of my favorite snacks and sore throat remedy. I'll be in bed the rest of the day with my tea...

Feeling a cold coming on? Try this...

Ginger Miso Soup
-water (about 6 cups)
-Bragg's liquid aminos (or tamari/soy sauce), to taste
-1 generous tablespoon miso paste (whatever kind you prefer/have around)
-1/2 block of extra firm tofu, cut into small cubes
-fresh grated ginger, to taste
-1 small piece kombu, rinsed and cut into thin slivers (optional)

Combine water and Braggs in a soup pot over high heat. Mix miso paste with a little bit of warm water in a glass or measuring cup until miso is dissolved. Add miso to water with tofu, ginger and kombu if using. When the soup begins to boil, turn it down to low and simmer until you are ready to eat.

Garlic Toast
-2 slices whole grain bread
-Earth Balance margarine
-2 garlic cloves, finely minced or grated
-dash of freshly cracked sea salt

Toast your bread and while still hot spread with Earth Balance and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and enjoy while still warm.

Time for me to gargle some cayenne...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...